Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Just Another Day, Downtown in The City

One of the hardest things about being an actor and model is the constant personal scrutiny that one is forced to undergo on a regular basis. I mean really, in most lines of work, if the boss asked the job applicant to strip down to her underwear during the interview so he could get a good look from all angles, there would be serious problems.

But there are some days you when you just feel so ready for the audition, you don’t even care that the “changing room” is actually a conference room with no blinds on the windows, where you can look across the street and wave to the guys at the water cooler. Such was the case a couple of weeks ago, when I booked two auditions for the same day.

I arrived at the first casting, for a bridal wear company, and everything went so right. Being a newlywed, the environment felt very natural to me. I hit it off with everyone, feeling relaxed and posing with confidence, and they got some great Polaroids.

No time to chat, though. I’m off to the next one, walking down Park Avenue with an added sureness in my step. After another super positive reception and great feedback from the client, I decided to treat myself to a cab ride over to the best cup of coffee in town — Ninth Street Espresso. It was a little bit of a haul over to Alphabet City, but as I sat with a perfect cafĂ© mocha, (don’t ask for a “mochaccino” or risk the barista’s sneer,) admiring the intricate latte artwork in the foam of my drink, I looked back on the day with great hopes.

A couple days later, after not hearing from either job, I started to feel a very strong letdown. One of the biggest factors for success in this business is perseverance, so instead of falling into feelings of disappointment and wondering why I didn’t book the gig, I’m choosing to remember that perfect cup of coffee, that strong feeling of confidence, and keep my chin up as I keep pushing forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment